Kids love to cook!
They develop a sense of independence when they are allowed to measure, pour, and mix together the ingredients of a recipe.
Below are 5 simple recipes your kids can make with little or no assistance from a grown-up. Plus, they will LOVE the way they taste!
ANTS ON A LOG
- Cucumber (slice in half and remove seeds)
- Banana (slice in half)
- Apple (cut into wedges)
- Pear (cut into wedges)
- Peach (cut into wedges)
- Any nut butter
- Cream Cheese
- Cottage Cheese
- Mashed avocado/guacamole
- Greek Yogurt
- Dried fruit (apricot, dates, figs, pineapple, etc.) cut into raisin-sized pieces
- Cherry tomatoes
KID CRUNCH MIX
- Plain or frosted animal crackers
- Teddy Grahams
- Pretzels, mini or sticks
- Yogurt -or chocolate covered or plain- raisins
- Marshmellows, mini
- Puffed cereal (Coco Puffs, Cheerios, Fruit Loops, etc.)
- Dried fruit (bananas, apples, blueberries, cherries, etc.)
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container.
FROZEN BANANA CEREAL POPSICLES
- Yogurt (strawberry, blueberry, peach, vanilla, etc. (Make it healthier by using sugar-free yogurt.)
- Melted chocolate (white or dark)
- Sweet cereal, Fruity Pebbles, Fruit Loops or Coco Crispies
- Healthier cereals (like granola, Raisin Bran, Bran Flakes, etc)
- Bananas, peeled and cut crosswise in half
- Wooden popsicle sticks
- Sprinkles or coconut flakes (optional)
- In individual bowls, shallowly add yogurt and cereal. Place popscicle sticks through cut side of bananas. Dip bananas in yogurt, then roll in cereal to coat. Add sprinkles or coconut flakes (optional). Transfer to waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- Freeze until firm, about 1 hour. Transfer to airtight freezer containers; seal containers and return pops to freezer.
- Apples (let your kids pick their favorite kind)
- Filling (peanut butter, hazelnut spread, sun butter, etc)
- Granola, miniature semisweet chocolate chips and/or M&M’s
- Parents, core the apples and cut the apple crosswise into slices. Spread filling over the slices; sprinkle with toppings. Top with apple slice to complete the sandwich.
YOGURT & HONEY FRUIT CUPS
- Cut-up fresh fruit (pears, apples, bananas, grapes, etc.)
- Yogurt (vanilla is our choice but you can try any flavor)
- Grated orange zest
- Almond extract (1/4 tsp.)
- Divide fruit among individual serving bowls. Combine the yogurt, honey, orange zest and extract; spoon over the fruit.